BOOKS AND BAKING

Devouring food and literature one bite at a time.

The New BoB - where we review Books, Restaurants and share Recipes both Old Favorites and New Discoveries

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Warm Winter Drinks

I am so excited about this blog that I decided I had to add my 2 favorite winter drinks (well 2 of my favorite - I really like winter and all of it's fun drink options)

The first is a family tradition ..... I make it in a crock pot and let it simmer all day. But it can be made and then put in the fridge and warmed as used.
"The Best Wassail"
1/2 gal. Apple Cider
12oz frozen Orange Juice
12oz Frozen Lemonade
1 c. sugar
10 whole cloves
5 sticks of cinnamon
(I put these last 2 in a cheese cloth or tea bag so I can remove them after a while and it doesn't get too spicy or thick)
fill crock pot (or kettle) with water..... let heat and serve.

The second one is from a friend that serves it every year at her party. Beazers - I don't know how authentic it is, but that is what she calls it...... YUMMY!!!

(Notice - part of the charm is the presentation!!)


RUSSIAN TEA
1 c. sugar
2 c. water
3/4 c. lemon juice
2 c. orange juice frozen concentrate
1 tsp. almond extract
2 qt. Boiling water

Mix sugar and 1st water and bring to a boil. Combine the remaining ingredients and serve immediately.

and maybe serve with Russian Tea Cakes?
(this is a Motab Mama post)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Thanks of the recipes, they're just what I need right now - fragrant hot sweet drinks to drive the cold away.

What a lovely podstakannik! Technically, you should have a spoon in that glass when you pour the tea. It draws off the heat so the glass won't crack. Russian tea glasses have very thin delicate glass. (At least they try to.)

Don't I sound knowledgeable??? I lived in Russia for one summer, and there is a limited amount of things I learned. How to serve tea being on of them. :)