BOOKS AND BAKING

Devouring food and literature one bite at a time.

The New BoB - where we review Books, Restaurants and share Recipes both Old Favorites and New Discoveries

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Ravioli

Today I want to share the joys of Ravioli. When I think of Heavenly Ravioli, I think of two places. One here in the SLC, and one up the street in PDX (Portland, Oregon).

Let's start with PDX. The Farm Cafe. This place is definitely for the tree huggin, veggie eatin, peace lovin folks we all know hide out in PDX. This place oozzes organic. Interestingly enough I was introduced to it by a vegetarian. To us carnivores... well it's worth the trip. I ordered the "Braised Greens and Toasted Pecan Stuffed Ravioli" I was not even sure what braised greens were but the pecans piqued my interest. I may have cried a little. The cheese was a Fiscalini cheddar and ricotta, and it was drizzled with a tarragon brown butter. (don't ask I have no idea what tarragon is, but I loved it) The ravioli noodles were hand made. Seriously good stuff. And the pecans gave it a fun little crunch. My dinning partners were happy as well with their choices, but I couldn't tell you what they were, I was too busy concentrating on those ravioli.

Woe is you, you say, I'm just not in PDX that much. Well I have a solution. It has nothing in common with the above mentioned except it's ravioli and it's yummy. But, it's yummy that's the point. Em's Restaurant. Located behind the conference center in SCL hidden among all those apartments. This is a recent discovery for me, and a very guilty pleasure. It is a little on the expensive side, but worth the sacrifice. For an appetizer you can get this flat bread toasted with cheese, artichokes, and caramelized onions. wow. So me and my mom decided on the ravioli. We decided because of the price, we would split the dish. When it came out they gave us each TWO ravioli. TWO.. that means the dish its self only comes with four. Granted they were a little on the large side, but really! Then we bit into them, looked at each other and said Worth IT! I've had a few other things at Em's and nothing has disappointed me yet. Most things there are seasonal, so you really never know what your options will be.

No comments: