BOOKS AND BAKING

Devouring food and literature one bite at a time.

The New BoB - where we review Books, Restaurants and share Recipes both Old Favorites and New Discoveries

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Toast to the Man

The 'man' is Clive Cussler.


I don't recall the reason or specifics behind why I picked up my first Cussler... but there was no looking back once I did. But I do have to admit a little snobbery, I've only read Dirk Pitt's. Me and Dirk Pitt are bosom buddies, and me and Al go WAY back. One of my favorite characters St. Julien Perlmutter. He was totally ripped off being cut out of the film version of Sahara. While on the subject of the movie, let's talk about it. The book Sahara was one of the first of Clive's I read. And it is dear to my heart. Clive himself had a few issues with the film. There were some lawyers involved and it wasn't pretty. The film was loosely and when I say loosely, I meant the main characters had the same name, based on the book. When I saw it i had to completely separate it from the book in my mind. I will admit I liked it as far as a fun action adventure flick. and I didn't mind watching the actors and actresses. But it was not the book, and if I compared it to the book I would have gone mad.

Well this week i finished my last Dirk Pitt novel. I felt like I was saying good bye to an old friend. Good news is I can walk back into my library any day I want, saunter up to my shelf dedicated to Clive and pick any one I want to re-read at any time :)

Deep Six, is not the last one written, I didn't read them in consecutive order. But it is the last one I read. The good news is it doesn't matter, there are a few things that go in order in the series, but you don't necessarily need to read them in order. Each one Dirk and Al save the world from impending doom. All done from a Cruise ship, a freighter, a salvage ship, or another nautical type sailing vessel. Of course Dirk is smooth, attractive, indestructible and tough James Bond of the sea, who doesn't love that?

No comments: